SPB TV released for Nokia N900 and Maemo 5
I have been so happy with my Nokia N8 (and Windows Phone 7 device) that I forgot about my Nokia N900. I just received the news that SPB TV is now available for the Maemo platform so I pulled out my N900, charged it up, and installed the new software. It also gave me a chance to update other pieces of software and discover the N900 really is a fantastic piece of work.
SPB TV is the first streaming TV application I have seen for Maemo and with the integrated kickstand on the device it does give you a nice viewing option. SPB TV is available on virtually all of the mobile platforms now and offers some decent content for free. There are actually now more than 150 channels from over 20 countries. SPB Software reported that there are more than 2 million users as well.
As listed in their press release, the main features of SPB TV for Maemo include:
- Full Screen TV player with picture-in-picture mode
- Unique TV browser with fast channel launching and switching
- A wide selection of public live TV channels
- Integrated TV Guide with a list of current and upcoming TV shows
- On-screen control panel
- Video quality switcher
- Advanced Video Codec support