Skype for Symbian updated, you can get around Verizon too
I was sent a link to the Skype blog announcing a brand new version of Skype for the latest Symbian phones, including the N8, C7, and E5. I fired up my web browser and went to the skype.com/m website and discovered that the Skype Verizon deal here in the US blocks ANYONE outside of specific Verizon handsets from getting Skype. However, I was not going to stop there and figured out all you need to do is switch your device to offline mode and then use a WiFi connection to go to the Skype site and get the .sisx file to install on your device.
This new version includes Skype’s high quality audio codec, SILK, so calls should be even better than they were before. Here is what is listed on the Skype blog for the updated application:
- make free Skype-to-Skype calls and IM on 3G or WiFi
- save money on calls and texts to phones abroad
- share pictures, videos and other files from your phone
- easier to add contacts, navigate, add a photo to your profile and set your mood message
- updated the interface to better fit larger screens
Do you use Skype for Symbian?