Nokia Situations turns your phone into a real assistant
One of my favorite sites related to Nokia products is Nokia Beta Labs and if you visit here you can find new software and utilities to try out. Some eventually are released as full products and some end up in the virtual trash bin. One of the newest utilities I found is Nokia Situations and as described in detail on the Nokia Conversations site the software gives me some cool functionality that I have been wanting on my phones. Nokia Situations works to assist you with management of your device and shows how your powerful smartphone should be working to help you out rather than be a hindrance.
Through scheduled time, events, or days, location, or connectivity situations your Nokia can be setup to perform a combination of the following actions (list copied from the Beta Labs site):
- Change Ringtones, make the phone go silent or louder, turn vibra on/off, and all the other profile settings.
- Answer missed calls with SMS. Especially when you set your phone to silent, you can also make it reply to missed calls, from contacts in your phonebook, with a pre-defined SMS.
- Save Power. Not using phone for a while, like when sleeping? Turn Bluetooth on/off or let your phone change to power-saving mode totally.
- Change UI theme / Wallpaper. Want to make the phone look different in different situations? Change the Theme during free time vs. when you are at work.
- Open a Web bookmark or application. Want to see weather forecast for the day when you wake up? Look at the calendar as first thing? Or open your favorite TV show discussion page at show time? Or perhaps change the Device Mode when at work?
The video below explains how Nokia Situations works too.
Keep in mind that Nokia Situations is currently labeled as an experimental prototype so it may not be as stable or functional as you hope all the time. So far it has performed well for me and I love the way it manages my profiles automatically. The settings interface is a bit awkward at this time and requires that you select a profile and then choose to personalize where you might think you could just tap the menu option and enter some preferences.