Nokia N8 Q&A: here are some answers to your questions
There are a lot of questions since the N8 devices are not out in people’s hands yet and I will try to answer them as best as I can. I appreciate all that you are asking since helping people out is the reason I spend time on this site. Let’s jump right into it and look at some answers to your many questions:
- How is the sound quality from headphones? I loaded up lots of Zune music and other songs and have been listening to and enjoying music. I am not an audiophile, but it sounds great to me.
- How does the display look in sunlight? Surprisingly, we have had some nice sunny days here in Washington State so I was able to test this out. Even though the N8 has an OLED display, it is actually quite viewable in full sunlight and blows away the display on the Google Nexus One.
- Is text reflow supported in the browser? Nope, the browser is still the same version 7.1 seen in S60 5th Edition (Symbian^1). Nokia stated they will be providing an updated browser, but we don’t know exactly when that will happen. In the meantime, I have installed Opera Mobile on the N8 and have it set to the default browser because it does support text reflow and has a QWERTY keyboard in portrait orientation. To set Opera Mobile as the default browser go to Settings>Application settings>Default applications>Browsing internet and select Opera Mobile as the default browser.
- How does the Swype beta work on the N8? Unfortunately, there is only a private beta of Swype available and once I get my own N8 I can give it a try. Also, due to Nokia’s firmware limits you can currently only use the beta in landscape orientation so there is no portrait keyboard support.
- Are the Bloomberg and Acuweather apps available for the N8 homescreen? You can download Bloomberg and AccuWeather from the Ovi Store. BTW, the Ovi Store is MUCH improved on the N8.
- Have you tried out Ovi Maps on this phone yet? Yes and I actually installed the latest beta from the Nokia Beta Labs site and it works very well on the N8.
- Is there a Google Maps app for the N8? Yes, Google Maps works very well and looks great. I like having both Ovi Maps and Google Maps on the device and use both.
- Are there other PIM alternatives? Like an alternative calendar, task manager, etc.? I understand that Handy Calendar is under development for S^3, but I haven’t yet found any alternatives.
- Does tethering (via Joikuspot) work on the device yet? Yes, Joikuspot for S60 works just fine.
- Does the new M4E support global address book lookups? Yes, it is integrated into the area where you enter an email address.
- How is the built-in instant messaging app vs. 3rd party apps like Nimbuzz? I don’t see any integrated IM capability, but have loaded up and like using Nimbuzz. Nimbuzz works fine on the N8.
- I just wish to know is it possible for me to connect the Standard TV out cable to get the TV out as if we do in N97 mini rather than the HDMI? See my post that verifies that TV out works via HDMI and the 3.5mm headset jack.
- How is Quickoffice on the N8? Quickoffice is installed on the N8, but like all previous Nseries devices it is only the viewer with the option to upgrade to the full version for creation of Office documents. I personally wish it was like the Eseries where you get the full monty to start with though.
- Are emails forwarded as attachments or inline text? When you select to forward an email, it appears as inline text with your response beginning above the email text you are forwarding. I could not find any setting to change this and assume this is the only option.
- When will Nokia N8 US pre-orders ship? Your guess is as good as mine and probably as good as customer service is able to give us. The banner said shipping this week, so if they ship like the Q3 shipments did then they should go out tomorrow, 8 October, but I honestly am not counting on that happening