N8 video hands-on and more weekend use thoughts
Don’t worry Nokia Experts readers I am not going to post much on my N8 experiences over on my ZDNet site, but I do need to put some coverage up there to pay the bills 😉 I placed my first impressions over there along with the video embedded below that walks through some of my thoughts on the N8. As you can read, I think the N8 is the BEST Nokia device I have ever used. Nokia and Symbian fans finally have a device to be pleased with and feel good about for the most part. It is not perfect, but it is better than anything else we have had before.
I was worried about the possibility of memory errors, but have not experienced any issues so far and the N8 seems to be doing a great job of managing apps. I did see a funky error pop up when I switched to the camera that said the phone was going to restart, but the phone never restarted and things kept working fine.
I was also very concerned about the battery life, but after three days of use I can say that the N8 may have the best battery life of ANY new smartphone I have used in the past couple years. I have used LOTS of different smartphones and the N8 just keeps going and going and I could not have been happier.
The more I use the N8, the more excited I am about getting my own device that I can completely customize and setup knowing that it is mine to use daily. Here are some other quick thoughts that I will flush out in detail over the next week or two:
- RF reception is outstanding and I am seeing a very strong T-Mobile 3G signal
- Video recording is very good and I captured some fun footage of my daughter’s 11th birthday party yesterday
- Games play quite good on the N8 as I saw with GT Racing
- Opera Mobile looks good and I think I will make that my default browser
- I am disappointed about the missing podcast app
- The software keyboard is OK, but a bit frustrating that prediction is poor and there is no portrait QWERTY
- The display looks great and touch works well
- The hardware is simply FANTASTIC and feels awesome in my hand
- The new Ovi Store is very good and I am buying apps from it
- I love that smart dialing is on the dialer
- The Calendar bites and needs work in future Symbian updates
Overall, I would not hesitate to buy the N8 if I were a Nokia fan, although the E7 with the QWERTY keyboard may also be a future purchase for me.