Hurray! Threaded SMS is supported on the Nokia N8
I was able to join in on the Nokia N8 Q&A session (check them out on the Nseries blog) and one of the questions I asked that is an issue for me personally (I do have a couple teenage daughters) is the support out of the box for threaded SMS/conversational view of text messages. Nokia confirmed that the N8 has support for this out of the box! That did it for me and confirmed the purchase decision of the N8 that I already knew was highly likely.
Other cool facts
- Another major bonus is support for 5 bands of WCDMA so you can use the N8 with either AT&T or T-Mobile 3G data networks so there will no longer be limits on who in the US can buy and fully use a Nokia device. This is the FIRST smartphone that we have ever seen support all five bands in a single device, across EVERY mobile operating system and is a MAJOR deal.
- USB on the Go: In the box you will get an adapter so you can plug in USB sticks & hard drives. There is obviously a limit what kind of current N8 supply so it means that with some hard drives you need an external power supply. You can transfer easily big files without PC
- Nokia is building on the Communities application in Nokia Messaging for Social Networks to roll out improved Facebook and Twitter clients. Functions will include status updates, share location and photos, view live feeds from Facebook directly on the home screen, transferring events from social networks into the device calendar is also easy, the Facebook profiles can be linked to the device phone book (cool).
- New email application. As stated in the chat, “the e-mail is completely redone. Super easy to set up multiple accounts without knowing any server details. Works with Exchange. Displays HTML mails with nice fonts and pictures in place. Fast switching between mailboxes. Tap-and-hold for contextual options… it’s totally redone.”
- Camera is HOT and there are several technologies and features that make it even better than most point and shoot cameras.