CTIA 09: Hands-on and intial thoughts on the Nokia E71x
I had a very nice dinner with several bloggers and the folks at Nokia last night and had the chance to spend some time with the Nokia E71x. I also saw the N97, but didn’t get much hands-on time yet, although I will this week. Here are some quick thoughts and answers to questions on the E71x coming to AT&T:
- The real name is E71x and that is stamped in the upper right above the display.
- The black back cover is indeed metal and not plastic as some people have stated.
- The hardware is virtually the exact same as the E71 unlocked model. Unfortunately, the camera appears to be the exact same too.
- Still has a 2.5mm headset jack. I was hoping they would put in the standard 3.5mm type.
- AT&T did put LOTS of their stuff on the device (AT&T Music, AT&T Mall, bunch of crappy game samples, etc.) and many of these icons cannot even be removed or moved to a Junk folder.
- It looks like TeleNav is coming out with a S60 GPS navigation client as seen as AT&T GPS on the Nokia E71x.
It is definitely a slick piece of hardware and I really hope it does well at just $100. Every time I have shown this device, people have wanted it so I think it is important to have it in the AT&T stores where people will get their hands on it and pick it up over bulkier other devices in the stores.